Saturday, July 23, 2016

w...What...w...When...w...How I became a Kitten Foster Mom

Wait so you have how many cats at your house right now?!?! SEVEN!!
 

I have always had a love for cats. They have my whole heart. I seem to have a 6th sense that attracts cats from afar. Driving down the road I can point cats sitting on porches from afar. I may or may not believe that I was a cat in my former life! I am considered the Crazy Cat Lady... granted before I was just the Crazy Lady without the cats! 

I have had cats my whole life. We got our first Tiger when I was 6 years old. From them I have had Mittens, Tiger II, Simba, George, Timpleton, Little Bit and Glee. These are just ones I have owned. It doesn't include the ones who follow me when I'm walking down the street on a stroll. Or the ones that randomly show up on our porch passing through on their journey for a quick bite to eat. And of course the neighborhood cats that randomly try to run in my house! Needless to say my life if full of felines. 

When George died, two years ago,  my heart truly broke. I had a huge hole in my heart. We couldn't just get another cat with the most territorial cat of all, Timpleton. He would not have it. Although I think he misses a buddy to wrestle with and snuggle with. But it was just a no. 

Around that time I started following a few Cat Foster Moms on Instagram. It was truly amazing seeing what they are doing for pregnant, abandoned, injured and the teeniest cats/kittens all across the country. I wished with all my heart I could do that, but it just wasn't the right time. I had too much going on. A baby and a toddler potty training, I was working, we had just moved back into our house, there just wasn't enough time! 

I continued to follow these woman and yearned to be a foster mom. I studied all about kittens and fostering. I read the ins and outs. I took notes on techniques I saw. I prayed about it. I feel such a passion for helping animals. I know I can't but I want to help them all. It's horrible thinking of all the animals sitting in shelters waiting for a loving family. After all this time and effort I just knew what I needed to do it. 

Fast forward 2 years later. I'm sitting here typing this with 5 little kittens that has taken up a temporary residence in my bathroom! 

I am a believer in signs! When I was looking on one of the Instagram accounts I saw this post that anyone can be a cat foster. WHAT?!?! I clicked on the link that took my to Texas Foster Programs. WHERE?!? I was reading the comments and found the one for Fort Worth about the Cowtown Crashpads. WHO?!? The poster mentioned that they needed help right away because of shelter overcrowding. WHY?!? I decided to write a message to this poster about how she got involved with fostering and what I needed to do. HOW?!? I sent in my application that night! 

I was approved the following week! 

The coordinator wanted me to come in that day and pick up kittens. Remember how two years ago I felt like there just wasn't the right time and I didn't have enough time? Welllll......I am even busier now. We were leaving for Colorado the next day, my business is taking off, Reid is about to start Kindergarten...timing?! I figured lets be honest, when would it ever be right and when will I ever have enough time. I just need to go for it regardless! 

A little over a week after getting back to Colorado I was sitting in parking lot at the Fort Worth Animal Control waiting to go in to get some foster kittens. Anxiety ran through my veins. Was I making the right decision? Would Timpleton be ok? What about the kids? What if something happens to the kittens? How am I going to give them away? I ventured in. On the way back the coordinator asked so how many would you be able to take. I was thinking 3 but told her oh however many! 

She said they have the perfect match for us. FIVE! Yes FIVE! What was I going to say, no I would like to just take 3 please! Forty five minutes later I was walking out with a cage full of tiny kittens. Oops!! 

I can not begin to explain how much these tiny little kittens have filled my heart. Don't get me wrong I will always mourn George and he will never be replaced, but these little ones are so much fun to have! 

Timpleton is doing as well as can be expected with the new residence in the house. I installed a screen door with vinyl on it so he can at least see what creatures are in the bathroom. They are entertaining him for sure! He still has some anxiety when he smells our clothes with their scent on them but at least no aggression! 

This starts my first (and hopefully many) attempts at fostering kittens/cats! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment