Thursday, October 30, 2014

Rhino Challenge Accepted

Recently Reid and I were looking at costumes for him to wear for Halloween. I showed him all his choices on Amazon...dinosaur, fireman, dog, policeman and all were rejected. It wasn't until he saw a picture of a boy dressed as a rhino that he got excited. A rhino?? Seriously?? Of course the only one they had was a large size 6-7, and he's a 4. So I guess this was going to be a challenge for his crafty mom.

I waited and waited showing him many other fun costumes but every time he said that he wanted to be a rhino. Finally I decided to make the costume.

Supplies: 1 grey shirt
               7 sheets dark grey felt
               1 sharpie black marker
               1 crochet har
               1 toy rhino
               Glue gun



I studied the toy rhino and looked at how the plates on his back were shaped. I then cut the corners to form a round edge.



 Then hot glued them all down and cut around the back of the neck. Then I added the texture and 3D with the black sharpie! It's amazing the things you can do with a sharpie, they are my life. HA that's just sad.


I crocheted a hat for him following this basic pattern I found on Etsy. I added the ears which I am scared to say do resemble a pig too much, but I couldn't get the shape of the rhino ear. I added a horn which I also found this pattern from Pinterest.

And here is the finished product!!!! A Rhino for Reid!!!

xoxo
Laura

2 comments:

  1. You put down 7 sheets of felt- do you know what that appox comes out to in yards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is doing this same thing to me this year!! Hence an endless google search for rhino costume 🤦🏽‍♀️

    ReplyDelete